Updated: Jun 8, 2020
Is the Summer heat making you feel bloated?
This week I faced a strange issue, as my stomach felt bloated and there was swelling in my feet. I am someone who lives a pretty healthy lifestyle and it left me thinking what was wrong with me, till a friend pointed out that this could be because of sudden rise in temperature and the summer heat waves.
But this had never happened to me before so I definitely felt confused and decided to take care of it the natural way.
So let’s talk about what causes this summer bloating?
Hot weather can cause water retention. Water retention or fluid retention occurs when the body is not able to maintain water balance which causes discomfort, bloating and swelling in body parts especially hands, ankle, face, feet and stomach. When we step outside during this hot temperature or we do not have enough water during summers, the body doesn't stay properly hydrated and enters the dehydration mode. This is nothing else but bodies way of holding onto water not knowing when it will receive water next. This self-defence mechanism of the body causes water imbalance which causes bloating and leaves us feeling swollen.
So what can we do about it -
Few tip to help reduce water retention in the body -
So I tried a lot of things hat would work to help me get rid of this swelling and bloating sensation. Out of the many things that I tried, I am sharing the few foods which I added to my daily routine that really worked wonders for me and help me get rid of this issue -
1. Coriander Seeds (Dhania seeds) - These nutrient dense seeds are loaded with potassium. Consuming coriander seeds tea twice a day really helps as these are loaded with potassium, which along with sodium helps the body maintain a normal water balance. Coriander seeds are diuretic in nature, which means they help in release of more urine and thus help in reducing water from the body.
2. Turmeric - Turmeric is known for its healing properties since ages. Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric is known for its healing and anti-inflammatory properties. Consuming turmeric first thing in the morning helps boost the bodies metabolic rate and flush out toxins from the body. Haldi when consumed at night before sleeping with a glass of warm milk helps the body relax and repair. The anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties in turmeric because of curcumin helps reduce bloating in body naturally.
3. Lemon- The acidic nature of lemon helps loosen the toxins floating around the GI tracts and helps relieve bloating and excess gas in your gut. Lemon also being a good source of potassium which helps the body maintain its fluid balance thus relieving the painful symptoms of water retention. 100 grams of lemon provide 138 mg of potassium to the body. Our body needs about 3,500 mg of potassium per day, so adding lemon water especially in this scorching heat helps increase the intake of this vital micro-mineral.
4. Ginger - Ginger is another amazing diuretic food which helps the body release more urine and naturally maintain the water balance of the body. You can simply chew on a ginger slice or infuse it overnight to have as detox water or grate and boil to make ginger tea. Ginger naturally improves digestion, reduces inflammation and removes all unwanted toxins from the body leaving you feel lighter and more energetic.
5. YOGHURT - Yoghurt is a natural probiotic and does wonders for your gut health. Adding yoghurt to your smoothies, evening snacks, or consuming it as buttermilk is great for your health especially in this summer heat. Besides this yoghurt is rich in protein and potassium both of which are essential to maintain bodies water levels. So enjoy yoghurt (or if you can get your hands on greek yoghurt) to increase your protein and potassium intake to get relief from water retention.
6. BANANA - Bananas are an amazing source of potassium. Potassium as we already discussed naturally helps flush excess water out of the body and reduce discomfort and puffiness caused because of water retention. Potassium also decreases sodium levels in the body and increases urine production, so it's a good idea to start your day with a banana or add it to your breakfast or have it in the evening when you are hungry. Either ways this yummy fruit is magical for your health.
7. DARK CHOCOLATE - Dark chocolate is high in antioxidants and loaded with magnesium. Dark chocolate with at least 70 percent of more cacao is good for gut health and is known to reduce body inflammation. Packed with magnesium, a vital nutrient known to reduce water retention adding dark chocolate to daily foods can help benefit you in many ways.
So if you are also facing this issue of swelling in summers, do try out these remedies. Making small changes to your lifestyle go a long way in building a healthy lifestyle. Instead of adding medicines for every issue we face, bringing in small changes can really help us :)
Nutrition has the power to heal and provide us relief. Just stay consistent!
So work towards building a healthy lifestyle for yourself and your loved ones. Stay safe and stay Healthy!!